I grew up in L.A. – more precisely in “the Valley.” Although I now live in Seattle and my daily wardrobe consists of jeans, some variation of a black shirt and boots, I am a Valley Girl at heart. I have a great appreciation for bright colors, sequins and sparkle.
Long live the red carpet.
Last night I couldn’t help but look – the hair, the jewelry, the make-up, the dresses. I had a serious article teed up for this morning but instead of editing my essay, I found my attention happily diverted to Oscar style. Apparently I was in good company. Yes, there is a war erupting in the Ukraine but it is the news of Ellen DeGeneres’ star-studded Oscar selfie that crashed Twitter.
I am going with the flow and shelving my contemplative matter for next time. Instead, here’s a few links to all things Oscar. Even if you missed the show, you’ll be in the know with your friends:
- Ellen’s tweet that crashed Twitter: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/moviesnow/la-et-mn-oscars-ellen-degeneres-jennifer–lawrence-selfie-twitter-20140302,0,3402811.story#axzz2uv4Et6IQ
- Lupita Nyong’o’s acceptance speech: http://entertainment.time.com/2014/03/02/oscars-2014-lupita-nyongo-speech-best-supporting-actress/
- Best Oscar dresses: http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/oscars-2014-best-dressed-celebrities-on-the-red-carpet/#1
- After party pictures: http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/package/gallery/0,,20768377_20789643,00.html
- Video highlights of best Oscar moments including Ellen distributing pizza in the audience: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/the-best-moments-from-2014-academy-awards
In a year of unrelenting snow-fall in the northern part of the U.S., drought in California and global unrest, the Oscars provided a light-hearted break with the exception of a few political-statement acceptance speeches. It is a much-needed salve, permission to enjoy fluff. You’re welcome.
Carol Lewis Gullstad March 3, 2014