I love summer.
Summer feels warm, tastes like watermelon, smells of sunscreen lotion and sounds like splashing water. The days are longer, the “to do list” is shorter. People smile more. The pace just seems to be slower and easier. In summer I read the newspaper less and trashy novels more. Unplugging from everyday news allows me to think that everything is going much better in the world. It probably isn’t, but at least I don’t know about it. Ignorance is bliss.
Most of us thrive on structure and routine, however, summer allows us to let go a little and feed our “inner child” an extra scoop of ice cream. As Fall approaches, the air turns crisper and the atmosphere shifts. Like squirrels stashing nuts, people seem to have their head down more and the pace quickens. Just like a great vacation, though, I want to hang on to my summer euphoria a little longer in the dog days of summer.
- Eat ice cream
- Take a favorite hike
- Visit a beach and track sand through the house
- Ride my bike
- Mix and drink Ginger Beer Lemon Mint Medley
- Spend a lazy Sunday wandering through my local farmer’s market
- Eat a dinner of hamburgers, corn-on-the-cob and watermelon
- Make s’mores
- Go to a baseball game
- Take a short road trip
The simple pleasures are truly the best. If I work my way through my list one more time, I can move on to back-to-school mode with a little less remorse. Then when the days are darker and shorter, I can revisit my “summer state of mind.”
Here is the recipe for the Ginger Beer drink, which can be made alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Either one tastes great!
Ginger Beer Lemon Mint Medley
1/2 lemon squeezed
lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
3 slices fresh ginger
Muddle first 4 ingredients
Fill glass with ice
Pour ginger beer to top and enjoy
Dear readers, what would you like to do one more time before summer slips away?
Carol Lewis Gullstad August 12, 2013
- “Mush-Fakers” and “Ginger-Beer Makers” (hchroniclesblog.wordpress.com)
- The Intentional Inn: Brewing ginger beer from a ‘ginger beer plant’… (lifeintent.wordpress.com)
- Elle’s Easy Ginger Beer – recipe (busyellebee.wordpress.com)